THE STUDY ON NUMBER OF CHILDREN BEING IMMUNIZED AGAINST MEASLES
This study was conducted to know the years that have the highest and least number of children immunization against measles in Kogi State between the period of 2004-2009 using percentage, multiple bar-chart and time series analysis (least square and moving average) The sample of the study consist of six years immunization programme in the state. The data collected was secondary and will represent in table chart, percentage and analyze by semi-average, least square and moving average methods.
CHAPTER ONE:INTRODUCTION 1.1 BACKGROUND AND PROBLEM STATEMENT
In order to attain the health for all, it is very important that an attempt has to be made to address diseases burdens and other health problems that significantly contribute to the poor health status of Nigeria. Base on this, there is need to mount urgent and appropriate health interventions capable of achieving this prime goal. The main goal of the policy is to develop and promote immunization programmes geared toward reduction of childhood morbidity and mortality through adequate immunization coverage of all at-risk population.
In view of this, we have to provide the guideline and framework for proper implementation of an immunization schedule for the target and at-risk population.
To established a comprehensive guidelines to assure compliance with the plans to detect, control or eliminate the occurrence of vaccine preventable diseases (VPDS).
National programme on immunization (NPI) has the primary mandate to protect children and adult alike, as the case may be against vaccine presentation diseases (VPD).
Namely: Diphtheria, Pertusis (Whooping Cough) Poliomyelitis, Tuberculosis, Teltanus, hepatitis Measles, Yellow Fever and Cerebrospinal Meningitis.
National programme on immunization (NPI) is a policy of the Federal Government of Nigeria to provide immunization services and potent vaccine free to all population at-risk of vaccine preventable diseases.
1.2 OPERATIONALIZATION OF NATURAL PROGRAMME ON IMMUNIZATION (NPI) ACTIVITIES IN KOGI STATE
Two broad strategies are adopted in immunization activities. These are as follow.
- Routine immunization
- Supplemental immunization
- ROUTINE IMMUNIZATION SERVICES: These are both public and private offered at the health facility level and at the outreaches.
- SUPPLEMENTAL IMMUNIZATION ACTIVITIES: Are rendered as a cateh-up strategy to boost coverage of a particular citizen. These are C.S.M. Campaign, Measles Campaign, Polio eradication campaign NID, SNIDs, LIDs < Maltiple citizen administration campaign.
To achieve high and adequate reduction or elimination of the (VPD), the required operational requirement include.
- ACTIVE DISEASE SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM: This compress of active case search incident and occurrence of diseases.
- COLD CHAIN: This is a life wife of immunization activities cold chain system is maintained from the state to LGA to health facility to the recipient. The cold chain equipment status is as attach pleases.
- SOCIAL MOBILIZATION: We have NPI social mobilization committee, at state level, and in each of the 21 LGAs.
The member of the committee plan and implement various mobilization activities and airing of jingles and announcement on the radio and television, town announcement, Radio and television, town announcement holding meetings with religious and traditional leaders