COMPUTERIZED BOARDING SCHOOL BED-SPACE ALLOCATION SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF CORNELIA CONNELLY COLLEGE, UYO.)
Boarding school is a place within the school environment where accommodation is provided for student to live. Boarding school has continues to be the way of inculcating good educational morals on students in our society. Boarding education is geared towards good academic performance combine with personal development to produce well-grounded individuals with the qualifications and skill sought for higher institution and employers alike. as much as boarding school is aimed at producing very high academic standard in Nigeria, boarding school in terms of management here is very low and sub-standard. The management part of any organization is essential but most boarding schools are still making use of manual managerial system i.e. the flat-file system hence this research work which is a computerized method.
- BOARDING SCHOOL MANAGEMENT
Boarding school management deal with the control of students living in the dormitory as well as their welfare, it also covers students admission, dormitory allocation, feeding, lecturers (preps), extra-curricular activities etc. but the management of most schools have suffered a lot as a result of this manual method, ranging from admission of students beyond it available facilities, poor allocation of students and lack of detailed student information records. Furthermore, the emerging of information and communication technology (ICT) i.e. the use computer many boarding schools have not yet taking advantage of its importance to the global world. The flat-file method of management has really deprive schools from proper documentation of students data, the retrieval of detailed record of students becomes cumbersome, unprotected and insecure.
The essence of this research work is thereby to address these issues and is limited to the following areas:
- Student admission: this is to avoid excess admission of student as against available facilities
- Easy and automatic dormitory allocation.
- Students record database” for storage and retrieval of student records.
With the idea of boarding school bed space allocation system, secondary schools will enjoy the unlimited advantage of computer in modern society, equating it with other world class boarding system.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The growing number of students in secondary schools in Nigeria has posed a lot of accommodation problems on the part of students and school management. Student at the beginning of each term may waste half of the term looking for accommodation. Most often, students pay for dormitory administrators can not give accurate information of the occupants of a particular dormitory. Other problems includes:
- Admission: the admission method is purely manual where a students name and class are the only data collected in a note book.
- Allocation: Students just more randomly to any dormitory she feels is convenient there by encouraging cliques.
- Students record: As a result of admission method, there is no way a student record can be consistent.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
The project is designed to help in the management of dormitory allocation in secondary schools the main objective of new system includes:
- To design and develop a central database system. that would serve as dormitory database, which will contain information on all the available rooms in the dormitories.
- To design a computer: Driven dormitory allocation system for allocating dormitory to students
- To generate reports on dormitory occupancy reports
- Inventory: this is to take adequate assessment of the available and functioning facilities.
- Form: Provide admission from to enable the collection of student’s data and regulate the admission process.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
- Generally this project will be of immense benefit to all readers who may come across it in view of having a clear understanding of the boarding school bed space allocation system.
- It is also believed that this research will benefit student in the boarding school
- Moreso, it will assist in uplifting the knowledge of teachers in schools
- Additionally, this project will serve as a references point to future researchers who will improve upon the finding herein
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The researcher work will cover among other things:
- Dormitory allocation
- Student information
- Dormitory space available
The research will be carried out using Cornelia Connelly Collage, Uyo.
Some of constraints encountered during this project design include the following:
- Financial Constraints: The design was achieved but not without some financial involvements. One had to pay for the computer time. Also the typing and planning of the work has its own financial involvement.