FACTORS AFFECTING THE FUNCTIONING OF CONTINUING EDUCATION CENTRES IN OREDO LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA OF EDO STATE
This project work is aimed at investigating the factors responsible for the functioning of continuing education centres in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo state. The study will also find possible solutions to the problems. Questionnaire was the major instrument used to collect data from the respondents. At the end of the investigation the researcher came out with the following conclusion:
1. That continuing education centres are privately owned by people hence the students have to pay for the services rendered them.
2. The centres are meeting the needs and aspirations of its participants because the instructors are enough, qualified and experienced though they work on part-time basis.
3. The method of instruction consists of lectures and discussions.
4. Adequate learning facilities are lacking in the centres e.g. library and laboratories.
5. Because most centres are non-residential they lack some basic amenities like water and light in essence, the problem facing the centers include poor funding, lack of accommodation, inadequate equipment, poor library facilities and poor laboratory facilities. Based on the conclusion, the following recommendations among others were made;
1. Adequate finance should be made available to the centres in form of aid from government so as to reduce the fees being paid by students.