ISSUES AND CHALLENGES OF STAFFING AND STAFF CONTROL IN AKWA IBOM STATE CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION (A CASE STUDY OF ITU LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCIL)
1.0 Background of the Study
The Local Government Reform (1976) was a nationwide which took place in Obasanjo administration, undertaking by the military government as part of its intention to return power to civilian sort of a precursor to active comprehensive political action. It was also designed to spread government program to the grassroots and institutionalize the Local Government system in Nigeria.
The reform resulted in the creation of 301 Local Governments across the country of varying populations between 150,000 – 800,000.
Prior to the 1976 reform the Local Government system in the country was less autonomous with the colonial era Native Authorities serving as a avenue of policy implementation directed from Lagos.
According to Charles O. (2009) Local Government is a sub-governmental organ or body created by the Central Government or Act of parliament to be in charge of political administration of a locality of a local unit in a State. The United Nations Department of Public Administration defines Local Government as a political subdivision of a Nation (in a federal system a State) which is constituted by law and has substantial control of local affairs, including the powers to impose taxes or to exact labor for prescribed purpose.
Main functions of the Local Government Councils are:
- Provision and maintenance of public conveniences sewage and refuge disposal, registration of all birth, deaths and marriages etc (2011) as the process of acquiring deploying and retaining and workforce of sufficient quantity and quality to create positive impacts on the organization effectiveness. The above stated objectives of Local Government can only be achieved if the challenges and issues of staffing and staff control can be controlled. According to allocation modes. Acquisition comprises the recruitment processes leading to the employment of Staff. It includes human resources manning to identify what the organization requires in terms of the numbers of employees needed and their attributes (knowledge, skills and abilities) in order to effectively techniques and methods assessment to identify the most suitable candidate for a particular job.
There have been numerous in-house and third party independent surveys directly addressing this issues. The results see to indicate that there are many staff issues and challenges and this research work seeks to highlight some of the issues and challenges and possible control measures.
- The consideration and the making of recommendation to a State Commission on economic planning or any similar body on the economic development of the State, particularly in for as the area of authority of the council and the State are affected and proposals made by the said commission or body establishment and maintenance of cemeteries, burial grounds and home for the destitute or inform, licensing of bicycles, trucks (other than mechanically propelled trucks) maintenance and regulation of slaughter house, slaughter slabs, markets, motor parks and public conveniences, construction and maintenance of faders roads, streets, streets lighting, drains and other public highways, parks, gardens, open spaces or such public facilities as may be prescribed from time to time by the housing of Assembly of a State, naming of road and streets and numbering of house.
- Statement of the Problem
Public service modern organization structure with lost of staffing and staff control challenges and issues which can be summarized as;
- Social attitude towards work
- Labour shortage
- Competition for application’s
- Promotion policy
- Work force diversity
The above problems motivate this research.
1.2 Objectives of the Study
The objectives of this study in specific terms will;
- Assess the issues in staffing.
- Examine the challenges involved in staff control
- Highlight or examine local government guidance in regards to staffing in Itu Local Government Area.
- To examines the prospects of proper staff control system.
- To examine ways of reducing staff issues and challenges in Itu Local Government Area.
1.3 Significance of the Study
This research work being an appraisal of the issues and challenges of staffing and staff control in Local Government seek to highlight some of staff common issues and challenges. This research work will be of benefit to government, public services, organization, etc that have various roles to play in the prevention and control of staffing problems. Strengthen and facilitate the problems of employee it will also enhance the growth of the organization.
It will also be beneficial to staff of Itu Local Government and other public service department and parastatal to gross the fact that staff issues and collaborative effort in the organization.
In addition, this research material will serve as resource material to student that will undertake further research on this area.
1.4 Research Questions
- What are the different issues involved in staffing?
- What are the types if challenges experience in staffing control?
- What are the criteria to reduce staff challenges in Itu Local Government Area?
1.5 Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this research work is to undertake and depth analysis of the challenges and issues of staffing and staff control in Itu Local Government Council as the case study.
1.6 Delimitation/Scope of the Study
A study on the challenges of staffing and staff control would have been complete if all the government and private establishments in the country were taken into consideration. However, this is not possible for a research at this level as such the scope and study is limited to only the issues and challenges of staffing and staff control in Itu Local Government Council was taken as a case study in this research.
This will allow for a better and make concise study of the subject matter to be under taken.
1.7 Limitation of the Study
This research study was limited to the issues and challenges of staffing and staff control in Itu Local Government Council. Since there are many bodies or organization involved in staffing.
The limited time given for the completion of this work will make it impracticable to study all, these research work is limited to Itu Local Government in Akwa Ibom State.
Since the financial strengths and capacity were not there. The researcher limited his study or research to Itu Local Government Area.
1.8 Definition of Terms
- Local Government: Is a sub-government organs or body created by the central government or act of parliaments to be in charge of political administration of a locality or a local unite in a State.
- Staff: It can be defined as a particular group of employee within a company, institution or organization, example, the teaching staff.
- Issues: This can be defined as something for discussion or general concern in an organization, public services etc.
- Staffing: Is the process of acquiring, deploying and retaining a work force of sufficient quantity and quality to create positive impacts on the organization effectiveness.
- Challenges: It is the act of lacking in a particular quality that may demand physical or psychological effort of a stimulation kind.
- Control: This is the process where one exercise power or authority over or something such as business or nation.
- Services: This is an intangible products such as accounting, banking, clearing, consultancy, education, insurance, expertise, medical treatment and transportation.