This study is carried out in order to examine the causes and effects of poor reading habits among junior secondary school students in Ikpoba Okha Local Government Area of Edo State. It has been observed that most JSS students cannot read, for this reason it is the intension of the researcher to look at those factors that make reading a difficult problem for students to examine that likely affects their reading difficult and the nation at large as well as the suggest solutions to this reading difficulty and the nation at large as well as the suggest solutions to this reading difficulty as reading underlines all teaching activities in the schools. This investigation was based on some questions. The analysis of the data collected culminate in the following findings.
1. That non availability of teaching aid and reading materials in school contributed to the reading disability.
2. That physical and mental defects among students also leads to poor reading habits.
3. That the teachers methods of teaching can impede reading progress.
4. That poor reading upbringing and lack of motivation from parents and teachers hinders reading ability.
5. And that the effect of poor reading habits is the cause of failure in the examinations. Based on these findings, the researcher makes some suggestions and recommendations on how to overcome the problems in order to improve students speech and comprehension.
CAUSES AND EFFECT OF POOR READING HABIT AMONG JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN IKPOBA OKHA LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA, EDO STATE