The main purpose of this study is to find out the problems of communication on secretaries in banks using the First Bank as a study.
In line with this, three research questions were framed. The sample size used was so of the senior and middle level executive from different department of the first bank to whom questionnaires were distributed
Their responses were analyzed and this led to the following findings.
· Communication integrates Secretaries functions in banks
· Poor communication could lead to industrial unrest
· Improper functioning of communication in an Secretaries in Banks could be caused by delay in information circulation, misinterpretation of message, improper circulation by the messengers and non posting of information on the notice board.
· Communication barriers exist in secretaries in first bank
· Communication system is ineffective in secretaries in first bank
· Effective communication can enhance and sustain good human business relations
· Secretaries in Banksal productivity could be adversely affected when communication is full of barriers
· Good business opportunities could be lost through communication ineffectiveness
· The productivity of secretaries in first bank is high because there is no immediate substitute
· Ineffective communication is a major contributor to loss of viable business opportunities.
It was therefore recommended that
– The need for elaborate and clearly written down procedure for communication cannot be over emphasized
– The two way communication system must be jettisoned
– Communicating messages that are of either short-run or long-run importance should be done early enough
– SECRETARIES IN FIRST BANK is advised to ensure that the communication barriers that exist in the Secretaries in Banks should adequately contain.
– Secretaries in Banks should occasionally organize seminars, workshops, conference etc.
– Management must have a genuine willingness to share information with employees.
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Communication is a discipline that embraces all aspect of human life. It informs all our actions and inaction in relations to others and it takes place all the time. It can manifest itself in symbolic, verbal and non-verbal forms we can communicate with all apart of our body, our posture, smile and even the dress we put on communicate one thing of the other.
Different scholars have defined the word communication variously. However, there is the central theme that runs through all these definitions. That is the giving of information, ideas, opinions attitudes etc. by one person or group of persons to another person or group of persons
Communication particularly in a business Secretaries in Banks provides a means by which people in the Secretaries in Banks interact, exchange information, ideas, plan proposal and execute them. It is a medium through which relationships are established and maintained. It is also a means by which commendation is given and condemnation is handed down.
Business and Secretaries in Banksal communication helps to orientate secretaries to their jobs as well as helping the supervisors monitor activates of the secretaries. Communication is an extremely invaluable asset in human Secretaries in Banks. His is because at all levels in the Secretaries in Banks among and between executives, managers, staff, supervisors, foremen and employees, the communication process is always in action conveying information, ideas, attitude and feelings among individuals and groups
Communication affects all the management function since none of them can be effectively performed without it. Plans and innovation cannot be executed unless they are communicated to those who will carry them out. The Secretaries in Banksal structure is designed to set up channels of communication through which information is passed downwards, upwards, horizontally or laterally.
Interference are barriers to effective communication because of changes in a desired direction.
The effectiveness of communication discourages better performance, high productivity and job satisfaction in an Secretaries in Banks. This reduces the essentials for the internal functioning of an Secretaries in Banks, which could integrate the managerial; functions.
The problems in an Secretaries in Banks as a result of communication problems reduce and obstruct the chance of such an Secretaries in Banks achieving their goals.
For the purpose of this study we shall focus all our attention on the major courses of communication problems with a particular emphasis on the Mercedes Benze Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company (MB-SECRETARIES IN FIRST BANK)
MB – SECRETARIES IN FIRST BANK limited was incorporated on January 17, 1977 and the plant was commissioned on July 8, 1980 by the firs executive president of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari. It started official production in January 1981 and has to date made enable mark on the nation’s industrial growth, adding over 25,000 vehicles to the nation’s transportation sector, backed up effectively with a network of over 36 after-sales service pints and spare parts supply depots. The first bank’s central spare parts deport stocks over 35, 000 line items
Mercedes Benz SECRETARIES IN FIRST BANK is a joint ventures between the federal Government of Nigeria and the Daimler Chryster AG. MB SECRETARIES IN FIRST BANK manufacturers Commercial vehicles and leads in the commercial vehicles markets from five tine payload and above in Nigeria. The plant, which occupies a sprawling 300,000 square meter site in Emene, near Enugu, is a shine example of a profitable and viable economic and technological corporation between the government and people of Nigeria and Daimler Chrysler AG and so there exists a combination of white/black system of administration.
As a result of the white/black relationship there are time when one system administration disagree with other both in the formulation and implementation due to communication problems.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
Communication is a very important instrument in every Secretaries in Banks.
The problems of effective communication is pre-requisite for improper understanding and interaction of people in an Secretaries in Banks. Poor communication system makes for ineffective and inefficient management and this affects the preset goals. Some of these problems include
1. Lack of proper channel of communication in the Secretaries in Banks. This can explain why there still exist, situation where minor problems which could be sorted out by discussion and understanding between the secretaries and the management escalate into major problems which causes some set back in the first bank.
2. The management is not willing to share information with employees. As a result secretaries normally get information from the grapevine which usually lead to unfavorable actions in the first bank
3. MB – SECRETARIES IN FIRST BANK is a multi-national first bank that carries information from different parts of the federation and outside the country too. The information is so much that the channels cannot handle all the messages that are been sent. Sometimes the telephone lines cannot get through of all the lines are in use at the same time. This information overload occurs when ,ore message are transmitted than the human receiver can handle, this leads to reduced efficiency
4. Since the first bank does not fully consider communication as a very important aspect of the Secretaries in Banks and therefore allows communication gaps to exist between it and the secretaries the productivity level of the first bank will suffer.