THE EFFECT OF TRAINING ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE IN PUBLIC SERVICE
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Working at the tertiary level is an inherently stressful profession with?
- Long working hours.
- Heavy workloads.
- Difficult students and
- Conflicting demands.
The physical and psychology demands of workers at the tertiary level of education make them more vulnerable to high levels of stress. The effect of stress are evidenced as increased errors in memoranda, high medical bills, lateness to work, low productivity and increased sick leaves. Despite the extremely negative effects of stress on the human body and work performance, many organizations, with Delta State Polytechnic not being an exception has not put in any concrete measures to address these stress-related conditions that negatively affect productivity.
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of this study are:
- In partial fulfillment of the B.Sc degree in Business Administration, Delta State University Asaba Campus, Asaba.
- To assess the effect of workload on employees performance.
- To assess the effect of stress on workers in the performance of their job.
- To examine the support for those people who are suffering from stress.
- To assess how work related stress can affect the health of workers.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
Based on the objectives of the study, the specific research questions to which answers were sought are:
- What factors contribute to low productivity among staff of organization?
- Are there any strategies which could be adopted to prevent or reduce stress among staff of Ogwashi-uku polytechnic?
- What can be done to help staff of Ogwashi-uku polytechnic with stress related problems?
- Does job stress have any effect on the health or Ogwashi-uku polytechnic staff?
In order to register the validity of the research findings, the researcher hypothesized the following which would be subjected to statistical tests. The outcome which either disaffirms the researcher’s observation;
Hoi: Stress is not considered as a major determinant to the employees performance in Nigerian polytechnic.
Hoi: There is no significant relationship between workload and employees performance.V