WAEC ONLINE REGISTRATION SYSTEM (A CASE STUDY OF WEST AFRICAN EXAMINATION COUNCIL, UYO BRANCH)
In a world where technology has placed the old ways of doing things, including the online registration system, need for improving online, necessitated the introduction of computerization in WAEC online registration system.
In early 1930s, students were using manual registration system for WAEC, which was very difficult and cumbersome for the student to register, they later embarked on the automation of its operations with the use of punched card machines. The Hollerith machines installed at that time handled all aspects of examinations for the receipt of entry to the printing of certificates. In the 1980s, optical mark readers, which eliminated the card punting process from 1983 the candidates were increasing in numbers, particularly in Nigeria, member countries embarked in educational of continuous Assessment scores into the grading of school candidates. These developments were compared with several data related problems. There were concerns over the quality of entry data, duration of processing of entries, security and storage of entry documents, assessment data, physical transfer of data from the satellite stations to the main computer installation, with the use of this, the prompt released of result was fast. Whereas formally, the issue of result was very cumbersome, and made easy a result by checking on the net, in cybercafé by getting the cyber cage to log on the net to check on result.
To register in some years ago was difficult in online e-registration system, candidates finds it simple to register with the help of computer system.
1.1 THE STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The statement of the problems includes:
- Lack of untimely release of result to examination centre’s for candidates.
- Delay in releasing result for at least three month.
- Inability to check result on time.
- Mixing of result and candidate’s subjects which give rise to mistakes at the end.
- Releasing a wrong certificate or fake result to the students.
1.2 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The main objective of this work is:
- To design and implement an online Examination Registration System for West African Examination Council, Uyo Branch.
- To ensure fastness and versatile of online registration.
- To design an online examination administering system.
- To design a user-friendly interface for West African Examination Council, Uyo Branch.
- It will introduce a new system of registration that is effective and acceptable.
1.3 SCOPE AND DELIMITATION
This project research is limited to West African Examination Council (WAEC), Uyo Branch. This system will only cover areas of online registration and management system to improve the old system owing to certain constraints and restriction encompassing the project.
1.4 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This research work is limited to the West African Examination Council (WAEC), Uyo Branch.
- Lack of research materials.
- Unavailability of officer’s for vital information.
- Lack of time factor to information officer for vital issues to be discussed.
- Analyzing the present system for West African Examination Council took a lot of time because documentation of the present system was ready.
- Inability of the respondent to give appropriate information.
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significant of the study includes:
- This research is also significant to other program and student in computer science discipline because, it will enable to solve similar problem related to it.
- This project research is mostly significant as it provide a more reliable, faster and efficient mode of online operation.
- It will help the examination council in similar studies.
- It well helps examination councils in decision making if they decide to customize this system for their own.
1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS USED IN THE STUDY
WAEC – West African Examination Council
SSCE – Senior School Certificate Examination
GCE – General Certificate Examination
ONLINE – An online can be defined as a controlled to the internet.
SCHOOL – A school can be defined as an educational Institution
COMPUTER – A computer is an electronic device for storing and processing information
REGISTRATION – Registration can be defined as the act of making an official record of something
COUNCIL – Council is an organization that Provides services in a city or country E.g. Education
RESEARCH- Research is a carefully study of a subject, especially in order to discover new facts or information about it
OFFICEER’S- Officers can be defined as people that are in position of authority
EXAMINATION – Examination can be defined as a for formal test of knowledge
INFORMATION – Information can be defined as a fact or knowledge provided
MATERIAL -Material can be defined as items needed for creating something.
DATA- Data can be defined as information processed in a computer.
PROJECT- Project can be defined as a work which involved research.