THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN ENSURING A SUSTAINABLE RURAL DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA (A CASE STUDY OF UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCIL)
1.1 Background of the Study
The evolution of local government system in Nigeria could be traceable of the Great Britain municipality form of local government. This system was introduced in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Enugu etc had similar responsibilities with that obtainable in Britain. This is the multiple system of local government that operated before 1976 local government reforms. After the Second World War, local government councils gradually replaced indirect rule system of native authority of Emirs and law making became relatively easy even when most of the native authority were so large in southern Nigeria, it is different authority.
The native authority respected and guarantees the authority system existing in the northern region. It was multiple systems in the southern part of the country. They were in place divisional council, local council, city council etc. their power were defined and made specific power that created them for example, the law or instrument established a local council all set out at a list function which local government bodies could perform, the law then authorize the minister of the local government to allocate these power and functions to different level or tier of local government. In southern Nigeria, the structure of local government council showed mid-west and western region with three tiers system and Lagos with one tier.
Under the 1963, Republican institution local government authorities were created mainly deal with matter of local concern. E.g. market, feeder roads, motor part etc. the essence of local government created is too involved local participation the affairs of their country. Not only have that to bring realms of politics to the grassroots.
Most modern states and government embrace three or two tiers of government, e.g. Nigeria so, the power of government and administration are made relevant at the local level. Local governments are created through a document called “instrument”. They are created like cooperates bodies because they had legal existence they could sue and be sued. This research work shall carefully study and analyzed the numerous roles of local government in the development of local communities/villages and areas.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
It is obvious that the development at rural areas, communities and villages is one of the major responsibilities or the administration function, but in the most cases, some of the local council does not perform to the expectation or the task of developing the local areas of which it was created for.
Here, the research problem will be studied and identified these problems of factors that hinders local government council from discharging her responsibilities effectively using Uyo Local Government Council as a case study the problem are;
- Inadequate supply of funds by the state and federal government.
- Political ethnic devices.
- Improper management of the council by the heads/top council officials.
- Personal interest of the top council officials, state and federal representatives.
1.3 Objectives of the Study
The objectives of this research study will include the following;
- To study and find out the major roles of local government in rural communities development.
- To study and find out the sources of local government funds, resources and revenues of which she uses for the development and running of the third-tier of government.
- To study and identify problems associated with local government administration and recommend the possible means of solving such problems when it arises to the management and staff of Uyo Local Government Area.
- To study and review other features, power and literature of the third-tier of government.
- To study and find out if the third-tier off government have been able to satisfy or meet the purpose of which it was created.
1.4 Significance of the Study
The significance of the study is that;