DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF LOTTERY INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR FOOTBALL LEAGUE (A CASE STUDY OF AKWA STARLET)
Lottery is a form of gambling mostly sporting which involves the drawing of lots for a prize or placement of bets for a particular team. Lotteries are outlawed by some governments, while others endorse it [Example: Nigeria] to the extent of organizing a national or state lottery. Kaplan, H. Roy (1987) . Lotteries, like any form of gambling, are susceptible to fraud, despite the high degree of scrutiny claimed by the organizers. Numerous lottery scams exist. Some advance fee fraud scams on the Internet are based on lotteries. The fraud starts with spam congratulating the recipient on their recent lottery win. The email explains that in order to release funds the email recipient must part with a certain amount (as tax/fees) as per the rules or risk forfeiture. Beynon-Davies P. (2002). The chances of winning a lottery jackpot can vary widely depending on the lottery design, and are determined by several factors, including the count of possible numbers, the count of winning numbers drawn, whether or not order is significant, and whether drawn numbers are returned for the possibility of further drawing.
This chapter which is the first tends to introduce the necessary details concerning this research projects, it is categorized in the following other; the theoretical background , the statement of the problem, aims and objective of the study, significance of the study, scope of the study, organization of the research and finally the definition of terms. This will bring clarity to the readers and users of the system.
1.1 Theoretical Background
A lottery management information system is a system with the framework of processes and procedures used to ensure that a sporting club or lottery organization can fulfill all tasks required to achieve its objectives by way of effectively documenting and managing the necessary information and fixation of matches. Alter, S. (2003). For instance, an environmental management system enables organizations to improve their environmental performance through a process of continuous improvement. A more complete system would include accountability (an assignment of personal responsibility) and a schedule for activities to be completed, as well as auditing tools to implement corrective actions in addition to scheduled activities, creating an upward spiral of continuous improvement. A lottery management information system can be developed in house (within the organization) or outsourced. This can be accomplished by outsourcing certain components or the entire system.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Over the past decade, there have been reports of several problems that have limited the proper management and services of lottery. These problems include:
- Late payment of money to individuals who has worn a bet or match
- Unauthorized access to important lottery records by intruders and impersonators General misplacement of lottery management materials
- Incessant case of fraudulent activities with respect to money management
- Time consumption in the management and evaluation process of sport fixtures
- Lack of effective database storage mechanism for records.
- Aim And Objective Of The Study
The aim of this research work is to develop a lottery system for football leagues.
The objectives include;
- To develop a system that will be used to manage match fixtures.
- To implement a system that will be used to make payment easy for any match worn.
- To implement a system that will help to relieve the general inconvenience usually experience with the paper or manual form of lottery management.
- To develop a system that will improve the knowledge base of information technology in the Akwa Starlet Football Club, Uyo.
- To design a system that will be cost effective and that will increase the interest of sporting fans.
- Significance Of The Study
The significance of the study includes.
- It will eliminate the rate of financial fraud existing in the lottery process.
- User of the system both sport fans and administrators will feel or experience relief and convenience when using the new system.
- It eliminates the regular loss and decay of manual files at the location of storage will be greatly annihilated.
- It will enhance the quick retrieval of records and information on demand by the administrators
- It would enhance the relationship between staff of lottery and sporting fans.
- It would help serve as a research material for future or prospective researchers.
- Scope Of Study
The scope of this research work covers the development of lottery system for football leagues, with reference to Akwa Starlet Football Club, Uyo.
1.6 Organization of Research
Below are the organizations of this research project:
- The first chapter starts with the introduction, theoretical background, followed by the statement of problem, aims and objectives of the study, also organization of research and definition of terms.
- The second chapter is focused on the review of related literature as made available by other researchers.
- Chapter three which is the third one is concerned with the system analysis and design which are: Research Methodology, System Analysis, and Analysis of the Existing System, Problem of the Existing System, Analysis of the Proposed System. Also include are ; Advantages of the Proposed System, Disadvantages of the Proposed System, System Design, Input Layout, Program Flowchart, and Output Format.
- The fourth chapter reveals the system implementation and documentation which are system design, diagram, and choice of program language, analysis of modules, programming environment, hardware/software requirement and implementation.