PERSONNEL TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT AS A MEANS OF INCREASING PERFORMANCE IN AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF UYO LOCAL GOVERNMENT COUNCIL, UYO AKWA IBOM STATE)
- BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
A number of factors are known to have influence on employees’ participation and achievement in an organization. Continuous learning is essential to the ongoing success of any organization. It allows employee of any organization to cope and also excel at increased job demands. It allows business to achieve excellence and maintain competitive advantage.
Every organization is set up in order to achieve specific goals and objectives in attempt achieving those goals and objective, each worker should endeavour to acquire the necessary inputs in the right quantity and quality.
So it came as a surprise to find that many organizations do not measure the impact of their staff training and development performance.
The need for improved performance on productivity in an organization has become universally accepted phenomenon that depends on efficient and effective personnel development.
It has further become necessary in view of modern global advancement, to invest in human capital training and development.
Thus, the role played by personnel training and development can no longer be over emphasized by implication therefore the need for organization to take employee development training programmes for their employee seriously has become an under spictable imperative.
Absence of such employees training and development programmes in an organization often manifest problems of incompetence, inefficiency, and ineffectiveness.
According to Omde (2004) personnel training and development involves providing learning intervention, planning, conducting and evaluating training programmes.
Once an applicant has been selected and placed properly by his organization, the next step is to transform him to meet the picture requirement of the organization. Such transformation is done by means of training and development.
The observation of Nwachukwu (2009) implies that training is an organizational effort aimed at helping an employee to acquire basic skill required for the efficient aimed at helping an employee to acquire basic skills required for the efficient execution of the activities functions for which he is hired. While development deals with the activities undertaken to expose an employee to perform additional duties and as sue position of importance in the organizational hierarchy.
- STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
In this modern global advancement many enterprises have over reflected on emphasis of high profitability without due consideration of the training and development of employee. What could be responsible for this?
This has been notices in many organizations where the employee’s private lives are jeopardized in the course of trying to meet the high demands and targets of the management. It is seen that workers are trained when they are newly employed; some are also trained on the job, promotion or transfer of employees to another department. But so many organizations fail to train their employees, based on how costly it is.
This is a problem that can decrease the level of performance in an organization.
Lack of planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating personnel resource could be as a problem affecting the achievement of objective and goals. These and many problems is what the research will seek answer to.
- OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
Since personnel training needs are to be trapped for the realization of workers performance in organization the objectives are as follows:
- To examine the concept of training and development as it affects employee performance.
- To establish if there is relationship between personnel training and development as a means of increasing performance.
- To make out possible solution to some problem that affect personnel training and development as a means of increasing performance.
- To find out whether training and development can improve effectiveness of the employees’ performance.
- To examine the existence of personnel training for motivation of worker for efficient performance.
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The research questions are as follows:
- Does the management of the organization consider training of staff as a top priority?
- Do you think that staff who undergo training and development often performs better?
- Does the management arrange regular training for the staff of this organization?
- Does personnel training motivate worker for efficient performance?
- Is there any relationship between personnel training and development as a mean of increase in performance?
- Does training and development bring about effectiveness in performance?
- Does the working condition of a worker provided by management give room for training and development?
- Can organization perform very well without the employee training?
- RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
Hypothesis generally is an assumption taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation.
The following hypothesis is formulated for the study; let null hypothesis be (Ho) and alternative hypothesis be (Hi).
- Ho: There is no significant relationship between
training and development and employees performance.