CALCULATION OF ENERGY EFFICIENCY DESIGN INDEX FOR VESSELS EEDI

0
152

CHAPTER ONE
INTRODUCTION

Background of study
Nowadays, the environmental pollution is the big problem that affects harmfully to the life environment and humans in the earth. The effects have been causing like as acid rain and global warming. In the field of shipping transportation, IMO “International Maritime Organization” has a mandatory of ensuring the green shipping with reducing fuel consumption on ships and greenhouse gas (GHG) emission, under Annex VI of the harmful gas pollution prevention in “International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL 73/78)”.
According to the “International Maritime Organization’s (IMO)” (2010), second greenhouse gas (GHG) study, shipping emitted 1046 million tonnes of CO in 2007; about 3.3% of global emissions.
We are seeing unprecedented climate change threaten our vital, yet fragile ecosystems. The knock-on effects of rising temperatures caused by greenhouse gas emissions such as carbon dioxide (CO2) could have disastrous effects on global agriculture and trade. That’s why it has never been more important to limit the cause and effects for future generations. Shipping makes a difference Maritime transport will continue to expand with increasing globalization, and although shipping already counts as the most efficient form of bulk transportation, the industry has recognized that more can be done. Optimized engines and improved designs lay the foundations for positive change. Working with key stakeholders, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) has outlined new standards for greater efficiency
An IMO-commissioned study into the impact of mandatory energy efficiency measures for international shipping shows that implementation of the measures will lead to significant reductions of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from ships, specifically reductions of carbon dioxide (CO2), resulting from enhanced fuel efficiency. (Captain, 2011).
This work basically, is to analyze in detail the methods and steps involved in the calculation of the EEDI of a vessel to reduce the emission of co2.

Aim of the study
The aim of this study is to calculate the EEDI of a newly built ship
The objectives of the study are:
To acquire an adequate parameter for the calculation
To identify a better method for accuracy of result

Statement of Problem
Transport is the only sector where greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions have increased (+14%) between 1990 and 2012 in the EU-28, notably for road transport (+17%) and international aviation (+93%). Climate projections predict an increase in future climate variability. To ensure economically, socially and environmentally responsible transportation planning, it is necessary to consider future weather variations driven by climate change. Urban areas are responsible for up to 70% of the production of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions causing global warming. Ships emit both to air and sea, and the main source of these emissions is the exhaust gas from fuel combustion in the ships engines , the climate change and global warming, considerable attention has been given in recent years to improving the shipping efficiency in order to reduce the total greenhouse gas (GHG)(e.g. CO2) emission. Emissions from maritime transport account for 10–15% of global anthropogenic sulphur (SOx) and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, and about 3% of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Current regulations provide emission limits for CO2 for its climate change effects and for NOx and SOx for their health and environmental effects. In addition, several studies have indicated that there is a higher probability of heat waves and air pollution episodes in the future due to increased stagnation. Transport is an important contributor to overall GHG emissions and the second largest sector after electricity production. In 2009 transport represented approximately 24% of the CO2 emissions from fossil fuel combustion. CO2 accounts for 93%-95% of the total GHG emissions from transport operations, the remaining 5%-7% consist of other gases such as nitrogen oxides (NOX), and different sulphur compounds. Emissions from transport have grown globally by 45% from 1990 to 2007, and in contrast to other sectors the emissions are still growing. Within EU, emissions of CO2 from freight transport grew by 24% between 1990 and 2001. Globally, the yearly growth rate of transport emissions between 1990 and 2000 was 2,11%, but the rate is increasing and from 2000-2006 it was 2,26% annually. (Tatar and Özer1,2018)

Scope of the study
This research work is limited to IMO standard requirement for calculation of EEDI of vessels, as contain in the amendment to MARPOL Annex VI.

CALCULATION OF ENERGY EFFICIENCY DESIGN INDEX FOR VESSELS EEDI